Tuesday Takes

Oddly I have a plant that is producing two different colored spaghetti squash – one started as a green stripe and the other as a light cream. I have been checking daily to see if any were mature enough to cut off the vine and today the rind of the green one finally seemed hard enough. I’ve never seen a spaghetti squash this color before so it will be interesting to see what it tastes like.

Three of the chicks are still alive and growing rapidly. It looks like one is a Delaware cross (the rooster is a mix) and the other two look like Australorp crosses.

Sunday Snaps

The squash is doing well and after several days of only male blossoms, I finally started getting some female blossoms. I currently have three squash developing.

Spaghetti Squash

 

 

 

 

In ten summers I have yet to actually eat a single apple . . . this year looks to be no exception as I can’t reach the apples that the squirrels and birds have left.

Apples

 

 

 

Finally, not all UV protection is equal. I put a “farm” tarp from Harbor Freight on the sheep shelter last October. I replaced the billboard covers I had on the goat shelters a couple of months ago because I wasn’t able to secure them during the high winds. I used tarps from the local True Value which were (allegedly) UV protected. I removed the shreds of both tarps a few days ago and replaced them with “farm” tarps from Harbor Freight this morning. The tarp on the sheep shelter looks almost new.

 

 

Sunday Snap

I first posted a photo of the spaghetti squash on June 3. This photo was actually taken yesterday, on June 30, so just shy of a month later.

Actually I’m sort of surprised . . . temperatures have been soaring in the last few weeks with more days breaking 100 degrees than I would normally expect. Even with a shade cloth over the garden, many of the plants have been showing signs of heat stress.

I’m being optimistic that this garden, originally designed to work in drought-stricken areas of Africa, may be the solution to my gardening woes. The hardware cloth is keeping the moles and gophers from eating the roots, the raised bed is keeping the rabbits out and the center compost tube appears to be providing sufficient fertilizer. I’ve started watering through the compost tube so that the plants are being watered from the roots as opposed to the top and that has cut the amount of water necessary considerably.